Tuesday 31 March 2015

In praise of point and counterpoint


A point and its counterpoint are not opposites but are complementarily different. A counterpoint is a contrarian foil and not an absence of something. It encourages illumination of the subject ("the point") sometimes without casting a light on even its own existence. A counterpoint provides the space to weigh and consider without refutation. It is exploratory and safely adversarial. Above all it promotes clarification, understanding and balance. 

Points and counterpoints on the tip of my brain:
-Honourable prizes are gained from meritocratic effort and not by being a fortuitous recipient in the right place at the right time. 
-It isn't being at the foot of the mountain that provides the summit's reward, it is the endeavour of the climb. 
-Leaves don't simply die, they decompose and provide sustenance and hence life. 
-It doesn't take hunger or thirst to appreciate repletion, it takes food and drink. 
-Being unloved didn't make me appreciate being in love. That took a broken heart. 
-The greatest reward I receive from helping someone is when there is absolutely no recognition of my assistance or no knowledge by the recipient. 
-It isn't knowledge of death that has made me appreciate life but that I understand loss. It took loving someone so much, and then losing her, for me to live with consideration more than any other experience. It wasn't Ruby's death that made me examine my life, it was my love for her.


From the very fountain of enchantment there arises a taste of bitterness to spread anguish amongst the flowers - Lucretius

Combat atrophy and routine. Question the obvious and the known. Doubt everything - Christopher Hitchens



No comments:

Post a Comment