Monday 4 August 2014

Few Things Matter but They Matter More

I have come to realise that most things are irrelevant. There are a lot of wasted thought and unnecessary worries used up on spurious bullshit. Fewer things matter than I had previously thought. But the things that matter matter more than I had thought. So:
Fewer things than I'd thought matter. But the things that matter matter more than I had thought.

I always need to remind myself:
Ruby is as unalive now as before she was born. My grief is mainly about what I have lost not about what she is. The Stoic idea holds true that in time I will have control and mastery over my own emotions and, hence, my grief.  I understand that the Stoics did not like optimism or pessimism but were realists. I take this to mean one needs to be honest to oneself about one's true emotions- being upset when sad, joyous when happy and not lying to oneself and others by covering things up.

Having stated the above, today I had moments of acute sadness thinking of what could have been and what Ruby has missed out on. Fortunately I am rational enough that these type of thoughts do not last long.


No comments:

Post a Comment