Friday 5 September 2014

Ruby's Ashes

We buried some of Ruby's ashes. It is a grotesquely unnatural and unenviably rare position to be forced to know. It makes no sense and I wish it on no-one.

As an atheist I know there is equal possibility in Ruby being in a heaven as there is in her being in Tolkein's Middle Earth. So why not wish for, and imagine, her being in Middle Earth? Sometimes I wish to be wrong about the end of life when we die. Sometimes I imagine Ruby hurtling across the land of Rohan in Middle Earth, psychically linked to her horse, pushing her on to her destination, bow and quiver on her back, head down, hair flowing straight and fast behind her, a wide toothy grin proving she is exactly where she wants to be, focused but completely free, with limitless imaginative potential.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely idea! I think that's where my son would be as well.

    ReplyDelete